Maybe you use hydrogen peroxide as a bleach, disinfectant or mouthwash, but did you know that gardening with hydrogen peroxide results in faster seed germination, enhances the plant’s root development, and discourages mold, fungus, and damping off?
Hydrogen peroxide does all this with the miracle of oxygen that is released when it breaks down into oxygen and water. It gives the plants an oxygen supplement and kills bacteria (anaerobic) that die in oxygen.
Gardening with Hydrogen Peroxide
- General fertilizer, either in plant water or sprayed on foliage.
- For sick plants. Spray on the leaves and add to water.
- Hydroponic gardening. Hydroponic gardeners often use peroxide to feed plants, by adding it to the watering system.
- Spray on tree cuts, to prevent infection.
- As a spray in the greenhouse, to control mold and mildew.
- Sprouting seeds before planting. Added to the water that seeds soak in, the seeds will sprout faster and grow stronger.
- Rooting cuttings. Added to the water, if you’ve put the cuttings directly into water. Or, if you’ve put the cuttings into soil or medium, use peroxide in the water you’re using to water the cuttings with.
- Mold or fungus on plants or in the soil. Hydrogen peroxide will help to control mold on plants or in the soil. If you’ve got mold on the plant, spraying the leaves is probably best.
How Much Hydrogen Peroxide to use for Gardening
Note: The hydrogen peroxide that you buy in drugstores in brown bottles is 3% hydrogen peroxide.
To water or mist plants, to soak seeds, to add to water used to wash sprouts:
To this Amount of Water Add this Amount of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide 1 cup 1 and 1/2 teaspoons 1 quart 2 tablespoons 1 gallon 1/2 cup 5 gallons 2 and 1/2 cups 10 gallons 5 cups 20 gallons 10 cups
I have some more seeds to plant, and I’m going to soak them in hydrogen peroxide and compare the germination times with the last batch I soaked in plain water. I’ll let you know the results when they come up. I’m also going to make up a batch for watering and misting.
If you found this gardening with hydrogen peroxide tip helpful, please share it by clicking the Like button below.